Stepping Together, our new Shared Reading kit, provides whole-group classroom instruction that complements our guided reading lessons. We’ve developed a series of sequenced shared reading lessons that feature interactive reading, writing, and word study. Each lesson gives teachers opportunities to model reading processes and support students in acquiring skills needed to read independently. The lessons include systematic phonological awareness and phonics activities that are linked to the same target skill. Students learn to efficiently hear, manipulate, and use letters and letter clusters, and then apply their new learning to text. The shared reading experience builds comprehension, language skills, vocabulary, and expressive, fluent readers.
Video opens in new window.
Each Second Grade Shared Reading kit includes
- 3 copies each of 35 titles
- A comprehensive curriculum resource that includes 175 shared reading lessons and detailed instructions for teaching procedures
- 3 lap-sized books for read-aloud of Nursery Rhymes, songs, and chants
- Dry-erase lapboards for 24 students
- 24 copies each of 35 “Super Stories” bundled into 7 distinct week-long booklets — controlled texts to support phonics instruction
- Downloadable resources
- One-year Teacher subscription for the Digital Reader
- Various classroom materials to support instruction, including Letter Card Set, Vowel Study Chart Cards, Word Study Chart Cards, Sally the Cow Hand Puppet, and more.